Best Practices for the Basic Maintenance of Your Website
WordPress and other website developers advise several things to do to minimally maintain the health of your website.
- Keep your WordPress version up to date – all updates include security fixes for vulnerabilities discovered. Plugging the holes is a vital part of keeping your site from being taken over or broken.
- Keep all your plugins up to date and REMOVE unused plugins that are no longer used or being maintained by the developer (some developers abandon their plugins!). Often there are updates to plugins following a WP update that both secure the plugin and maintain proper functioning of the tool on your website. Should you decide to use a maintenance plan, I will go through your site the first month and ensure your site plugins have been cleared of tools that are unused.
- Keep up with subscription services that support your website, hosting, and tools. Letting tools lapse means they are likely not updated.
- Avoid simple passwords and never use your “username” as your display name on a website (specifically shown when blogging and publishing content). This gives bots an added way to guess the website administrative names. And NEVER use the default “Admin” or your Domain Name for the username.
- If within budget, maintain a hosting plan that includes malware protection and a firewall. A quick call to your hosting provider can provide you with options, or you can call me to discuss tools that I am using and opt for a premium version (I get no commission for this.)
- Install firewall and monitoring tools to your site like Wordfence, Securi, or NinjaFirewall
- If your website administrative password is the same as one you have used for years, then it is advisable to update it as soon as possible. If it is a simple password, you are putting your site at risk. It should NEVER match other websites that can be hacked, nor match your banking logins. Follow best practices for passwords.
- Log in and go to USERS on the dashboard panel. You will see all admin users –click your profile and update information as needed.